Sunday, February 26, 2017

Reflecting on Unit 2 Assessment 2

This assessment posed a challenge. It is about the universe and gravity, while there are some physical activities that can be done, most of the activities must be theoretical to an extent...which made the assessment drag. 

Don't get me wrong, I feel like my students had a good understanding of what I wanted them to at the end, but in the day to day there was a lot of just sitting at desks and completing assignments using simulations. I felt like the students took longer than needed to finish the parts because they weren't engaged in the same way they were with the previous assessment.

To look at the parts individually:

Part 1:
In this part of the assessment the students used a PhET simulation that related mass and force. The two main aspects this simulation showed were that when mass increased, force increased, and that the force is equal between the two objects even if one is more massive than the other. The simulation is great and to the point, but was also a little hard from some students to apply the information of to the task. It was a hard first part of the assessment to some students. That being said with feedback and me readjusting my expectations of their work, given that it was a difficult start to the assessment made the task one that all could accomplish. (I will also say my evaluation of this part of the assessment is a little biased because I was out sick when they started the task. I think they could have had a clearer idea of what was expected if I were there. Though that does tell me that the instructions may need to give them more initial support, such as an example of what a model of the forces between a planet and its moon might look like.)

Part 2:
This was one of my favorite parts of the assessment, while also being the one I would change for next year. This part of the assessment used an interactive website from the Smithsonian. It is create for showing scale in the solar system and beyond. We had the students use this website to answer questions on a worksheet. Next year, since I think the students need more out of their seats time, I would structure this part of the assessment differently. I would likely still begin with the website, it is easy, interactive, and supplies information. Then I would challenge the students to make their own model of the solar system. This model could be a physical thing, like a diorama, but it could also have them calculating distances, spreading their friends across a the field as planets, and taking a picture. Something creative or interactive. I would also like to tie in the idea of gravity into this part of the assessment specifically, by discussing how gravity affects things even when they are so hugely spread out.

Part 3:
This part of the assessment used a PhET simulation that was thankfully translated recently into HTML5 and suitable for use on the iPad. The simulation looks at gravity and orbits of a few different systems. The students used the simulation to answer questions in a Google Slideshow, using screenshots of the simulation to support their thoughts. The simulation worked well, the students showed the understanding I wanted, and it was all create. (As a note, there is a question that uses the term 'hierarchy" this was difficult for some of the students, but a quick explanation of hierarchy meant there made the question accessible for any that needed help.) 

Part 4:
The last part of the assessment has the students explaining how gravity keeps objects (such as satellites and the space station) in orbit or how gravitational assist works. While I liked this part of the assessment, it was difficult for many students. I have to say, though, I give my students a lot of credit. The vast majority of my students always try to reach and conquer the last part of the assessment and this assessment part 4 was no exception to that rule. However, it was difficult for many to really describe how gravity kept it in orbit, they had trouble applying the information from part 3. The biggest challenge was addressing that it was gravity pulling it down plus the forward motion that kept it in orbit. 

Overall:
I feel like this reflection sounds more critical of this part of the unit than it should. It was overall great, it used simulations and resources to try to make real something that is often abstract and for the most part to success. But, the parts were in their way similar in their expectations of student interaction with the material (play with the simulation, complete the worksheet/assignment...play with the simulation, complete the worksheet/assignment...). Some of that is likely the fault of my own in not bringing in more interactive elements to enhance the assessment and go beyond. Though not intended as an excuse, being out sick and having not much of a voice, did influence how much I was able to discuss to go beyond the assessment requirements. I only note that because in reflection I also need to think, for next year, what I can do with the assessment to bring in more engagement and interactivity. 




No comments:

Post a Comment